Sports Law Practice Group
Featuring a rare combination of sports agency, business litigation, and corporate law experience, attorneys in our Sports Law Practice Group excel in identifying and understanding the unique issues that sports-related legal matters present. Such extraordinary collective experience enables the team to provide full-service representation for the Practice Group’s clients, which include athletes, sports agents/agencies, and coaches.
Members of our team have enjoyed incredible success, including obtaining the second largest raise of any player through the baseball arbitration process for 2008 and obtaining a one-year contract in excess of $7 million for former Colorado Rockies’ third baseman
Garrett Atkins in 2009.
The Sports Law Practice Group has expertise in a wide-range of sports law related matters, including the following:
- Claims relating to relocation of sports franchises, intellectual property matters, and NCAA issues.
- Baseball antitrust law exemption.
- Nonstatutory labor law exemption.
- Representation of athletes.
- Advice, statistical analysis and case preparation for agencies.
- Negotiation and drafting of all types of sports-related contracts, including employment agreements, personal service agreements, independent contractor agreements, licensing agreements, endorsement agreements, and settlement agreements.
- Guidance and formation of business entities (partnerships, limited liability companies, S and C corporations).
- Drafting and negotiating all types of contracts utilized by the business.
- Drafting and negotiation of business acquisition agreements, including acquisition or sale of business through stock or asset sale or merger transaction.
- Advice pertaining to private placements and other exempt securities offerings.
- Negotiation and drafting of employment agreements between sports agencies and agents, including allocation of fee tails between agents and agencies, covenants not to compete, and non-solicitation clauses.
- Negotiation and drafting of coaching contracts, including liquidated damage clauses.
- Drafting of trust agreements, wills and health care directives.
- Drafting prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
- Divorce and child support litigation and issues surrounding salaries of athletes.
- Negotiating and drafting divorce settlements.
- Cybersquatting issues.
- Trademark and copyright infringement.
- Right of publicity issues.
- NCAA and CIF eligibility matters, including CIF Appeals.
- NCAA Athlete-Agent rules.
- Negotiation of publishing agreements.
- Negotiation of lease agreements, including protection for athletes who may need to break the lease early due to a trade, promotion, or demotion.
- Litigation related to lease agreements and purchase agreements.
- Tax audits of athletes, including residency issues, deductions of meal money and other job-related expenses, and duty day issues.